A couple of months ago, Facebook made its newest platform, Facebook Timeline, available to fan and business pages. It represented a fundamental shift in the design of the pages, what information was capable for businesses to share, and how user interact with brands. No longer will Facebook pages contain tabs, rather businesses have to develop cover photos and manage a timeline. Here are 5 things that you can do today to upgrade your Facebook page to the newest format.
- Cover Photo. A recent article on mashable.com suggests that the cover photo is what viewers first see and look at the longest. It is also noticeably larger than most images on your timeline, so it is a great place to put an image that truly represents your brand. However, Facebook does have some limitations on what cannot be apart of your cover photo.
- Price or purchase information, such as “40% off” or “Download it at our website”
- Contact information, such as web address, email, mailing address or other information intended for your ‘about section’
- References to user interface elements, such as Like or Share, or any other Facebook site features
- Calls to action, such as “Get it now” or “Tell your friends.”
Other than those limitations, the cover photo is a great option to post a logo, announce products or services, or for a group photo of your employees.
- Now businesses can highlight particular apps on their pages. You can now move around and change what apps are the most important for your client base. Here you can add links to a resource page, a blog, or just manage a blog feed.
- The “about” section is conviently placed below the profile image. Here is a great place to fill in all that necessary contact information, your website, mission statement, and a map to your office.
- The timeline itself offers a variety of new ways to bring attention to your posts. One option is to ‘star it,’ which make the post the full width of the page. Or another is to ‘pin it’ or highlight the post to the top of your Facebook wall. This would keep the post at the top of your feed for a week, it is perfect for alerting customers to sales, promotions, or upcoming events.
- One of the most exciting new features of Facebook timeline is the ability to add milestones and to add a date to a story or update. This provides a brilliant opportunity to tell the story of your company or business. You can add important dates to Facebook, like when the business was founded or when it moved to a new location. This helps current and prospective customers really get to know the history of your company.
Remember Facebook is forgiving. If you mess up and accidentally say your company was created in 2020 or you gave the wrong address for your office, it is super easy to edit these mistakes. If you are worried about making changes, Facebook allows for an editing mode, that hides your page while you make the necessary upgrades and will only publish the site after you made sure you have the perfect page.